Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Culture differences?

Culture is not the only thing that impacts fandoms the generations of fans have changed as well . In my time the age of boybands included heart throbs like nsync, LFO, 98*, Hanson, BSB, O TOWN, Moffatts, boys 2 men, ALL4ONE, Dream Street These groups had so many fans and yet how much do we know about their lives? what do we know about their private lives? we know a little about Nsync and we know a little about 1 member of 98* because of the media. These are of coarse only the American+ Canadian Boy groups The groups from the UK I know even less about their private lives.

Most if not all the members of BSB are married with children, Hanson are all married, 98* I honestly haven't heard about any of the members but I am almost sure at least one of the other members is married.

O-Town members practically vanished Ashley Angel had the most success after the disbandment and that is the only reason why it's a known fact that he has a child and a failed relationship then he practically vanished as well the only thing really known about him is he mainly does voice acting.

I actually don't know anything about the other groups and their private lives. I do not search for it and only find things out when other people mention them.

now if we were to flip the coin from then to now you have one main fan base that stands out a fan base that does some very amazing things among themselves that we did not have in my time however Beiber fandom does some scary stuff too . What has changed so much from when I was 15 to now that I am 2 yrs shy of 30?
People these days are more culturally diverse compared to before now that technology is at it's highest point. I mean music only got accessible on all fronts when I was about 15 or 16. I downloaded my first Korean and japanese tracks when I was 17 between the ages of 19-24 I became aware of how popular Asian culture and arts were with North americans and people all over the world really. People have been influenced by these things they admired and have followed suit. Am I blaming the Asian fandom culture no do I think part of it may play a part? we subconsciously pick up things from others we like admire talk to hang out with see on tv everyday. Also with different types of bullying increasing our youth are going down dangerous paths. Where is the guidance we did not have such bad mannerisms, we also treated our artists well and now our youth are cutting themselves for attention , causing trouble for their favoured artists. In the USA they have made a law to protect their artists called the steve tyler bill which I think needs to be in place all over the world.

Now if we go to Asian music culture particularly KPOP the fanbases have become a subculture of their culture. That culture has been warped over the years as well and now it is to a point where something really needs to be done. "Fans" being happy about putting the artists through discomfort, and claiming they plan to do worse. They are doing more things because they never face punishment. Bullying is a norm as long as it's not happening to you it doesn't matter unless you are an entertainer being accused of doing it. They seem to scapegoat and trash talk tear down their entertainers. I never look at things written about north american entertainers and their fans and think OMG one day they are going to kill them! but I find myself wondering when I will read an article about a Korean entertainers accidental death. are they waiting for some Manslaughter incident to happen before they take action?

Fans from these days are so different the fan wars, the rumors, speculations, the anger burning and breaking merchandise just because the person is dating someone you like or because they said your bias was their ideal partner. something needs to be done with the obsessive behaviour of these women they need some group meetings self help sessions therapy other things they can do with their time than skipping school, following the idols, breaking into their homes, setting up cameras to monitor them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

let me know how you feel and think about what you have read